Outboards

All general discussion and links about Preludes

Outboards

Postby Jeremyfisher » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:03 pm

Has anyone any views on the advantages or disadvantages of a 4HP 4 stroke against a 2 stroke please?

Regds

Simon
Jeremyfisher
Global Moderator

Re: Outboards

Postby jerryevans » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:31 pm

Hi Simon.
On my own boats I have used a 4, 6 and 8 hp twostrokes and a smaller fourstroke as a backup and for the inflateable. A 5 hp Honda was used in 2015. It was quite heavy to handle and the prop pitch a little too coarse for me, the boat would not go slowly enough when required. That would be simple to change to a finer one, then performance would suit me better. I very much appreciate the simplicity and relatively light weight of twostroke engines but fuel efficiency and noise is the price. Twostrokes are also much easier to stow, ie. either side up, although I have read one manufacturer has solved this problem already. You will already know that only fourstroke engines can be bought new. As twostroke engines have very few moving parts keeping them going is only limited by spares availability, but buying a pig in a poke may not be very difficult! Not much new info. here Simon, hope it helps.
Money no object, I don't know what decision I would make, that is not a choice likely to arise, however a new Rocna has been added to Tropical Kitt's inventry. Wow, what an improvement, sets every time, first time, so far.
Cheers, Jerry in Cumbria, just back from near Kippford.
jerryevans

Re: Outboards

Postby Jeremyfisher » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:28 pm

Anyone interested in my Mariner 4HP 2 stroke long shaft motor?

Regularly serviced, new prop last year.

Asking about £250.00

Regds

Simon
Jeremyfisher
Global Moderator

Return to General