Bilge keel condition

All general discussion and links about Preludes

Bilge keel condition

Postby louis.howe » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:23 pm

My Prelude is ashore on her trailer for winter maintenance.
One job I have in mind is removing all the old antifoul, which is unsightly and hindering my performance (my excuse!)
I feel this is also a good time to give the bilge keels a once over, make sure nothing nasty is lurking. I have done plenty of keel bolt replacements, but never on bilge. The bolts are encapsulated in fibreglass on the inside. Does anyone have any tips for giving them the once over? I have a 3 tonne Boat lift, so will be lifting her off the trailer for the work.
Anything I should be looking for in particular, known weak points etc? She is left on a drying soft mud berth so I need to know they are as good as possible.
louis.howe

Re: Bilge keel condition

Postby jerryevans » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:57 pm

Hi Louis.

Have you removed your bilge keels now? Did you manage to get the job done OK ?
My boat is on a tidal mooring, but sits on muddy pebble bed, so not yielding mud as your boat does. I use a rear prop in place of the fixed rudder, when moored.
I have had some bilge keel related problems lately and wondered how you managed your planned keel removal, as I may consider removing mine to strengthen the hull, which has distorted due to poor quality layup. Access seems to be the main concern.

It must have required some ingenuity and patience.

It would be very helpful to have some feedback from you, to help me decide whether or not to tackle the job, or not!

Jerry.
jerryevans

Return to General