Prelude no.79 - new owner

All general discussion and links about Preludes

Prelude no.79 - new owner

Postby Garyk » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:45 pm

Hi,

I just acquired prelude no.79, a MK1 lifting keel. She needs a bit of work, so no doubt I'll be asking a few questions.

I've some work to do glassing the keel box where it's cracked, searching out cabin leaks etc, but was wondering if anyone has added extra storage space at the sides of the forward berth?
Also, does anyone have any photos of a replacement winch arrangement for the lifting keel? The original is missing.

Here's to a winter of discovery!

Gary
Garyk

Re: Prelude no.79 - new owner

Postby Jeremyfisher » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:51 am

Welcome to the site and I am sure you will get plenty of advice.

Where will you be keeping and sailing the boat?

Photos to the gallery when you can please!!

Regds

Simon
Jeremyfisher
Global Moderator

Postby Garyk » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:07 pm

Hi Simon, I'm in Ireland, so will be sailing inland lakes initially, probably Lough Ree, and the Shannon waterways, they're well serviced with lots of marinas. I'll spend this winter making sure I'm ready, and trailer her to a local lake to check for leaks.

My first task is glassing keel box cracks, and figuring out how the main keel bolt is sealed, as it's currently exposed on both sides. Are there some sort of covers for the ends?

Gary
Garyk

Postby Jeremyfisher » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:11 pm

Hi Gary

Although Jeremy Fisher is a Mk2 model (1993) I imagine the keel bolts will be similar and there are no caps on the ends! I do not have a winch for the keel as I think the lifting arrangement is different. The keel on JF is lifted using a 10:1 wheel arrangement mounted on the transom with a line running under the hull to the keel, giving a totally clear cabin floor.

Hope you enjoy next season.

Regds

Simon
Jeremyfisher
Global Moderator

Postby Alistair Sim » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:25 pm

Hi and welcome Garyk, I have a Mk1 like yours. It as nylon screw plugs in the cetral trunk that houses the keel , they are either side of the keel bolt and can be removed/replaced for maintenance on the keel. The original lifting mechanism consists of a winch mounted just inside the cabin by the companionway. It utilises a stainless steel rope that is shackled directly to the back of the keel. The original winch has a protruding square metal peg on which a removable handle can be placed to operate it. I find it requires 70 revolutions to completely lower it and thus 70 more to raise it. I'll try and download some photos to the gallery so you can see what it consists of.

Regards, Alistair.
Alistair Sim

Postby Garyk » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:03 am

Thanks Alistair,

I will probably need to find a substitute for the nylon screw plugs, or glass over the ends when I've serviced the keel bolt. If you could pop one out, I'd appreciate s pic of how it's supposed to look behind it, I think one side of mine needs a little tidying up.
Garyk

Postby Alistair Sim » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:24 pm

Will do, hopefully take the pics tomorrow.

Regards, Alistair.
Alistair Sim

Postby Alistair Sim » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:56 pm

Hi GaryK, I have uploaded those images to the Gallery for your perusal.
Go to page 4, select the album for the boat 'Thursday' and then view on album entitled Curlew formerly Thursday.
Sorry for the delay.

Regards, Alistair.
Alistair Sim

Postby Garyk » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:15 pm

That's Excellent, thanks. It's one of a few tasks I have, so don't worry about the delay :-)
Gary
Garyk

Return to General