Masthead rig information

All general discussion and links about Preludes

Masthead rig information

Postby Jeremyfisher » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:31 pm

Hi all,

I am a little puzzled by a boat I saw today.
My sister was looking at a Prelude for sale and asked my advice. I went with her to see and was very puzzled by the rig.
It was not something I had seen before, but then I know little about Masthead rigs.
It did not have a single forestay, but two stays that came from halfway up the mast, one to each side and fixed to the pulpit edges where my safety wire is fixed.
Is this normal, because it looked very odd. It did not have an A frame which was a problem and obviously no forestay for the jib . It was a Ridgeway Mark 2, No 430.

Any information please?

Regds

Simon
Jeremyfisher
Global Moderator

Re: Masthead rig information

Postby Alistair Sim » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:43 am

Hi Simon, I have a fractional rig Prelude Mk1. The mast forestay is affixed some 5 feet below the top of the mast. Below that is the foresail halyard sheave that allows a choice of hanked-on sails to be attached and hoisted dependant on weather conditions.
I have seen twin forestays on fractional rigs before, they allow the option of hanking on a different sized sail to either forestay, secured separately at the foot one is then carefully rolled and lashed to the pulpit/guardwire or, folded into a sailbag lashed to the pulpit.
When a change of sails is necessary they need only swap over the jib halyard from the lowered sail and attach to the new one, ditto for the jib sheets, lash to the guardwire or stuff the lowered sail into its sack and hoist the new sail.
That could be the set-up you saw. Two forestays also offers increased security should one forestay fail.

Regards, Alistair.
Alistair Sim

Postby Jeremyfisher » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:20 pm

Hi Alistair, as Jeremy Fisher is fractional as well, I understand that rig. The point about this masthead one that I saw was that it did not have a forestay running to the prow of the boat. It had nothing at all there so would have been impossible to fix a jib on. The two stays that on my fractional rig come from just below the crosstrees and fix to the hull aft of the mast were taken instead to the fixing point on the pulpit for the guard wire. I do not see how that could have been sailed because even if you managed to raise a jib, it would foul on those two stays.

Regds

Simon
Jeremyfisher
Global Moderator

Postby Alistair Sim » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:03 pm

Hi Simon, my apologies, I misread your original post and took it to be a fractional rig. I suppose there would be no harm in ringing the seller and getting an explanation as to the sail plan?
Be interesting to hear their reply.

Regards, Alistair.
Alistair Sim

Return to General