Window

All general discussion and links about Preludes

Window

Postby Otter » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:41 pm

Hi there,

I am nearing the end of the restoration of P298 and one of the last things left to do is refit the windows, we brought some new acrylic and cut it out but, could not find the rubber u seal. Today we did a trial fit and we decided to try and replace the u section and foam tape (which had originally been used to seal it) with sealant. However when we tried fitting the window we were left with a large gap between the frame and window and inside moulding. Has anybody replaced the windows without using the rubber seal, if so how? And what did they use to fill the gap between the inner and outer moulding that is normally covered by the rubber u section? I noticed that a couple of people had ditched the frames and bolted the windows and I presume they didn't use the rubber u section so there must be a solution!!!!!!

any advice welcome,


Otter
User avatar
Otter
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:03 pm
Location: Brancaster Staithe

Re: Window

Postby Alistair Sim » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:38 pm

Try searching windows seals on this forum. Nigel Anderson had brand new rubbers made up from a template and, back in 2016, had enough left over for possibly three more Preludes.
You could send him a personal message and see if he has any left.

That would be the right piece of kit for the job for your restoration rather than having to come up with an alternative diy solution.

Alistair.
Alistair Sim
 
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:57 pm

Re: Window

Postby jerryevans » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:22 pm

In answer to your question Otter, having long experience of rubber seals leaking, my solution simply uses specialist non hardening mastic to bed the new glazing and bolt it together. Cover caps tidy it up. There are better male/female tube type window fixings but I decided, for pecuniary reasons, not to go down that road, as I needed thirty per window. The deck moulding at the window openings also needed to be repaired with CSM and pigmented gel coat where many of the screw fixings were very poor. It looked much better and stronger after that. Seeing the damage caused by the self tappers, bolts were chosen to be the best solution. The sealant remains watertight and flexible after about seven years and looks neat. I have not reused the cosmetic window frames which would have required more screw holes which might split as before. I have used this solution successfully before on ply boats too.

By the way, as my boat P40 is probably going, if there are any pieces of kit or gear you need or are still looking for, please get in touch, Private message me or ring 07979 375 124.
Jerry, high and dry.
jerryevans
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:59 pm
Location: West Cumbria

Re: Window

Postby LesMG » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:17 pm

I did this with my windows, and I made the window snug fit, the guys who fitted them (BOATWORKS), just filled the gap with the sealant it looks ok I'll try and take apicture close up so you can see and post it in the gallery.
LesMG
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:49 am

Re: Window

Postby Dave Seaman » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:50 pm

Nigel Anderson sold his rubber mouldings to me. I used what I needed to re seat my windows and have enough left over to do one Prelude.
If you are interested, Please send me your contact details.
Dave Seaman
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:48 am

Re: Window

Postby ClaireB » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:42 pm

Hi Dave did Otter take up your offer of the window mouldings. Replacing windows on P345 & would be interested if you still have the moulding.
ClaireB
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:43 pm

Re: Window

Postby Dave Seaman » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:49 pm

Hi Claire,
I am sorry but what rubber seal I had, has been sold to a local chap who contacted me.
Dave Seaman
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:48 am


Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron