Stanchions & bases for guard wires

All general discussion and links about Preludes

Stanchions & bases for guard wires

Postby deaftonewonder » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:34 pm

Good evening!

Would anyone have some stanchions or bases that i could buy that might save me from having toget a set fabbed?

My boat doesn't have any & as there's no holes drilled in the appropriate spots, i don't think it ever had them.

It was a little sketchy hanging on with one hand & trying to hoist/ cleat the main halyard, while into wind but abeam to the waves in Plymouth sound, first/last time we launched, so thought i'd look into fitting some guard wires as well as leading lines aft into the cockpit...
deaftonewonder

Re: Stanchions & bases for guard wires

Postby Garyk » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:20 pm

I'm in the same boat (no pun intended). Would like to know if someone could give advice on the Stanchion lengths, and if the guardwires go all the way back to stern/pushpit, or stop just at the entry to the cockpit and are finished to the side of the cockpit on a diagonal slope

I just got my Prelude back in the water after working on her this year and had our first sail with the kids 1st December!

Gary
Garyk

Postby Jeremyfisher » Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:30 pm

On Jeremy Fisher the guard lines finish at a slope to the forward edge of the cockpit. Otherwise I think it would not be so easy to get on and off the boat!
It seems to work for us. there must be some Preludes that you could find to buy that would provide the pulpit and guard wires wire you need. There is one next to us in Norfolk that is probably good for "scrap" . I have spoken to the owner who thinks he would be lucky to get £300 to £400 for it.
Regds

Simon
Jeremyfisher
Global Moderator

Postby deaftonewonder » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:15 pm

Hi Simon,

Would you be able to put me in touch with him please?

I can't take the whole boat but i would be interested to see if he's willing to break it for the parts i need.

Kind regards

Jim
deaftonewonder

Return to General