New Blood

All general discussion and links about Preludes
Gwendlethred

New Blood

Post by Gwendlethred »

Hi,
My wife and I purchased 'Gazelle' a couple of months ago. She's number 15, a swing keel, red and white, mast head rigged boat.
Only had her on the water a couple of times so far and only under electric power. But she floats and no leaks so far (except from rain).
And overall we're very happy with her.

Some other issues.
The trailer wasn't designed for a sailboat - let alone a swing keel Prelude! This has resulted in a few difficulties getting her out of the water; but after some needed mods things are looking a bit better.
Shortly after the photo was taken we lowered the mast and the mast base insert pulled out and cracked. The aluminium had been welded up extensively in the past and was warped. I'm looking into having a replacement milled from billet.
The mast tree was to short - when the mast was lowered it would hit the hatch cover before resting in the tree. So I've made a higher one.
A previous owner has cut the left hand cockpit seat cover in half. Resulting in the cockpit no longer being watertight as rainwater can now drip straight though into the hull. Also it appears that the seat covers double as buoyancy in case of critical swamping. So unless someone has a spare I'm going to have to do some grp surgery.
I've also replaced the clam cleats as the internals of the old ones had corroded away.

I'm also looking for pushpit railings and a more extensive pulpit railings If anyone knows where these can be found?

Regards,
Oliver
Attachments
Gazelle 1.jpg
Gazelle 1.jpg (167.4 KiB) Viewed 264 times
Jeremyfisher
Global Moderator
Boat Name: Jeremy Fisher
Sail Number: 507

Re: New Blood

Post by Jeremyfisher »

Welcome to the site. Where do you keep and sail her? From the Reg Nos it looks like the Broads. We are at Womack Water so if you are anywhere near there, you are always welcome to drop in when we are there!

Regds

Simon.
Gwendlethred

Post by Gwendlethred »

We're currently trailer based and we've put her in the water at Geldeston and I'm looking for other good slips to use (with car and trailer parking nearby).
I'm also making enquiries about a swing mooring at Hickling Broad - which as the crow flies is pretty close to Womack Water. Although the river route is the other side of Potter Heigham Bridge!
Jeremyfisher
Global Moderator

Post by Jeremyfisher »

Providing you can get an "A Frame" to lower the mast, you would have no problem getting thru PH Bridge. Horsey is out favourite sailing spot.

Simon
Jeremyfisher
Global Moderator

Post by Jeremyfisher »

Martham Development also has an excellent slip.

Simon
Gwendlethred

Post by Gwendlethred »

Thanks for the info!