Update on the refit (Harrison John)

All general discussion and links about Preludes
luke-london-essex

Update on the refit (Harrison John)

Post by luke-london-essex »

Hi all,

I thought I would give everyone an update on the refit of Harrison John:

Transom outboard insert
This was probably the biggest pain to sort, the existing version was probably the original and it was a few hours away from completely disintegrating and taking my outboard with it into the sea! I was told repeatedly by my father that cutting through 5cm thick teak was not going to be an easy job so I spent the best part of 4 weeks emailing and calling various joinery / furniture places near me in London, but nobody wanted anything to do with it! I eventually found the Pioneer Sailing Trust in Brightlingsea that are a traditional boat builder, and they were lovely and took the work on. I bought a piece of teak from kjhowells.co.uk, made a few diagrams of what I thought the original one should look like and I now have a proper outboard mount that doesn't crack and splinter every time I put it into gear! If anyone wants the diagrams let me know.

New electronics panel and complete rewiring
As I plan to fit a few more electronics bits (autopilot, several USB ports for phones, tillerpilot, small solar setup) I decided to use my "winter 2021 lockdown" spare time to make a new electronics panel, using "Lady Grace" as the inspiration from the gallery photos! I am quite pleased with the result, but it was certainly trial and error over a period of weeks! I sourced most of my parts from eBay, attempting to get marine-standard where I could but some will probably not hold up to the salt over time (but can be easily replaced for a few quid). The box is made from the same marine ply that I've made a new door from (still yet to be fitted!). I took the opportunity to completely rewire all of the electrics on board as they were looking a bit worse-for-wear.

Tillerpilot
Having not yet gained the ability to "set the sails and leave the tiller" I purchased a Simrad TP10 Tillerpilot over Christmas. I chose the Simrad over the Raymarine as from looking at various forums it appeared to have better water / corrosion resistance, although it seems that none of the options really last too long in the end. My wife is making a splash cover sock out of a scrap of Sunbrella fabric I bought off eBay. It doesn't have a display screen to look at so I'm just going to wrap the whole thing in it!

TBC in comments...
Attachments
Harrison John - transom outboard insert.jpg
Harrison John - transom outboard insert.jpg (190.62 KiB) Viewed 132 times
Harrison John - tiller pilot.jpg
Harrison John - tiller pilot.jpg (181.25 KiB) Viewed 132 times
Harrison John - electronics panel.jpg
Harrison John - electronics panel.jpg (183.46 KiB) Viewed 132 times
luke-london-essex

Re: Update on the refit (Harrison John)

Continued...

Fitting the tiller pilot
This took many weeks to decide where and how I was going to mount it. The options were to mount it to the SB side seat or to mount it to the SB seat back, both of which require a tiller bracket to hang under the tiller and a separate mount for the base. I decided on the side-of-seat mounting as people will still be able to sit down without having a lump of metal in between their "cheeks" 8) . I made a larger backing plate out of some spare G10 fibreglass board to make sure the load is spread over a bigger area. If it looks like it's wobbling too much from the force I'll make a bigger plate or jam a piece of wood between the seat back and outer hull. I still need to have another hole drilled into the bracket as it's currently off-centre, but as I only have a battery drill I've left that to the chandlery to sort for me as it's solid steel.

Depth sounder
When I bought her she had a NASA depth sounder fitted, but it had never worked. I quickly identified the problem... the inside-hull fitting was far too long and the oil appeared to have leaked out of it. I finally got around to fitting it this weekend with a new inside-hull fitting, and I tested it with a plumb line and all is well. I can't tell you how relieved I am to be able to tell my depth in the murky blackwater! The process was awkward and involved lots of sweating and banging my knee/head, but worth it! I had left the original fitting in place as it feels like a rock and is very difficult to get to.

Next projects are: Painting (maybe), sort the teak out, new companionway door, solar panels, compass.

I hope you're all enjoying the Spring!
Jeremyfisher
Global Moderator
Boat Name: Jeremy Fisher
Sail Number: 507

Post by Jeremyfisher »

I had to do exactly the same with my outboard mount;. Managed it but it was not easy. How did you manage to cut the inset curves? That was my biggest problem.

Simon
luke-london-essex

I bit the bullet and paid someone else to do it! I worked out that they were concave shapes that were at a 10 degree offset to vertical... which was far too complex for my battery powered drill and dremel!

The boat builders even said it was difficult to do... and they had a full workshop! £60 for 3 hours work was well worth it I think!

Do you know how I can start a new album in the Gallery? I tried to follow the options to set one up but I don't think there was a button to start a new album.
Alistair Sim

Post by Alistair Sim »

Hi, with regard to starting an album, go to Prelude Owners Association, click on gallery
and follow the instructions form there, the gallery has been subject to some maintenance as the guidance will explain.

Regards, Alistair.
Haris
Site Admin
Boat Name: Faith
Sail Number: 220

Post by Haris »

Hi Luke
I saw that you were asking about creating an album on the Gallery.
I created an album for you call Harrison John, assuming that this was the name you wanted to have on the Album.
So go ahead now and upload your photos.
Regards
luke-london-essex

Thanks both, I've started my album now, much appreciated!