Window

All general discussion and links about Preludes
Post Reply
User avatar
Otter
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:03 pm
Boat Name: Gandalf
Sail Number: 298
Location: Brancaster Staithe

Window

Post by Otter »

Hi there,

I am nearing the end of the restoration of P298 and one of the last things left to do is refit the windows, we brought some new acrylic and cut it out but, could not find the rubber u seal. Today we did a trial fit and we decided to try and replace the u section and foam tape (which had originally been used to seal it) with sealant. However when we tried fitting the window we were left with a large gap between the frame and window and inside moulding. Has anybody replaced the windows without using the rubber seal, if so how? And what did they use to fill the gap between the inner and outer moulding that is normally covered by the rubber u section? I noticed that a couple of people had ditched the frames and bolted the windows and I presume they didn't use the rubber u section so there must be a solution!!!!!!

any advice welcome,


Otter
Alistair Sim
Posts: 139
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:57 pm

Re: Window

Post by Alistair Sim »

Try searching windows seals on this forum. Nigel Anderson had brand new rubbers made up from a template and, back in 2016, had enough left over for possibly three more Preludes.
You could send him a personal message and see if he has any left.

That would be the right piece of kit for the job for your restoration rather than having to come up with an alternative diy solution.

Alistair.
jerryevans
Posts: 108
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:59 pm
Boat Name: TROPICAL KITT
Sail Number: 40
Location: West Cumbria

Re: Window

Post by jerryevans »

In answer to your question Otter, having long experience of rubber seals leaking, my solution simply uses specialist non hardening mastic to bed the new glazing and bolt it together. Cover caps tidy it up. There are better male/female tube type window fixings but I decided, for pecuniary reasons, not to go down that road, as I needed thirty per window. The deck moulding at the window openings also needed to be repaired with CSM and pigmented gel coat where many of the screw fixings were very poor. It looked much better and stronger after that. Seeing the damage caused by the self tappers, bolts were chosen to be the best solution. The sealant remains watertight and flexible after about seven years and looks neat. I have not reused the cosmetic window frames which would have required more screw holes which might split as before. I have used this solution successfully before on ply boats too.

By the way, as my boat P40 is probably going, if there are any pieces of kit or gear you need or are still looking for, please get in touch, Private message me or ring 07979 375 124.
Jerry, high and dry.
LesMG
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:49 am

Re: Window

Post by LesMG »

I did this with my windows, and I made the window snug fit, the guys who fitted them (BOATWORKS), just filled the gap with the sealant it looks ok I'll try and take apicture close up so you can see and post it in the gallery.
Dave Seaman
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:48 am

Re: Window

Post by Dave Seaman »

Nigel Anderson sold his rubber mouldings to me. I used what I needed to re seat my windows and have enough left over to do one Prelude.
If you are interested, Please send me your contact details.
ClaireB
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:43 pm

Re: Window

Post by ClaireB »

Hi Dave did Otter take up your offer of the window mouldings. Replacing windows on P345 & would be interested if you still have the moulding.
Dave Seaman
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:48 am

Re: Window

Post by Dave Seaman »

Hi Claire,
I am sorry but what rubber seal I had, has been sold to a local chap who contacted me.
Post Reply