Outboard weight

All general discussion and links about Preludes
PennyH

Outboard weight

Post by PennyH »

I now own Escape No 57 and have to buy an outboard. I’m planning to buy a 6hp Suzuki weighing 23.5kg to cope with the strong tidal waters of the River Alde. I’m concerned this may be quite heavy on the bracket and also it may not be possible to tilt the engine to leave prop out of the water when on the mooring because of the pushpit. The outboard has to stay on the boat all season. Any advice welcomed! Many thanks.
Alistair Sim

Re: Outboard weight

Post by Alistair Sim »

Hi, I have a 27kg outboard mounted on the rear of my Prelude.
It has a fixed extension arm that allows it to mount on a conventional rigid board a little further away from the stern and, it can therefore simply hinge up on its own mechanism clear of the water and the pushpit without having to haul the whole weight up.
Also I had to create a bridle between the outboard and rudder stock so when the rudder is turned the outboard turns with it improving turning but crucially preventing the rudder being chewed by the prop when turning to port.
See gallery for Curlew (formerly Thursday).
I can add extra photos to clarify if you wish.

Regards, Alistair.
PennyH

Re: Outboard weight

Post by PennyH »

This is really useful many thanks. Your photos show exactly what is required. The stern is obviously strong enough to take the extra weight and that was my other concern. I collect the outboard today so will see what needs to be done,
Thanks again,
Penny