Jib Furller

All general discussion and links about Preludes
Steve'n'Pat

Jib Furller

Post by Steve'n'Pat »

Hi all again.
Has anyone had experience of a DIY jib furler? Quite a few on YouTube.
I'd like to fit something but a rigger said the boat would need a new forestay,jib luff wire, sacrificial strip on the sail plus the Plastimo furler and lines plus his time which would make the job cost mostly what the boat is worth.
Does anyone have an opinion as to if the jib can be attached to the forestay plate and hoisted without attaching to the forestay? I have a couple of furling drums from a Flying Fifteen, but wonder how the sail will roll without a luff tube?
There is a youtube video of someone who uses plastic pipe with cutouts for the hanks so they can connect to the forestay, but presumably this would need to be rigged while the mast is lowered.
A big challenge with getting this right is I've yet to attempt to raise the mast . I will have a dry run with the boat on its trailer before it goes i the water nextbspring, but I f anyone has details of an A frame or where / how the frame can be secured to raise the mast, I'd appreciate feedback?
Thanks!
Alistair Sim

Re: Jib Furller

Post by Alistair Sim »

Hi, is your Prelude a masthead or fractional rig?
If it is the latter it may be suitable for the 95mm Barton furling drum, retailing apx £62+,
then factor a top bearing though I suspect you may already have one ( note: the masthead sail area exceeds that recommend for this size drum).
You say you have some furling drums, perhaps experiment with one of those to see how well the sail furls without the addition of a tube.
I believe one of the problems is that whilst the luff wire could be raised independent of the forestay getting sufficient tension is usually a problem.
I have seen an arrangement where a Diy furler had a tube attached (with a forestay within) the tube sported u-bolts onto the tube which the piston hanks attached.
This avoided the cost of a custom cut sail, just the addition of a UV strip on the existing sail, unconventional but I understand it worked very well.
Beware when raising the mast, the mast heel is very fragile, see previous posts on this on this site. Some recommend a tabernacle, others have assorted methods, either way, again - be careful with the mast heel!

Regards, Alistair.
Jeremyfisher
Global Moderator
Boat Name: Jeremy Fisher
Sail Number: 507

Re: Jib Furller

Post by Jeremyfisher »

I have to say that in my humble! opinion a jib fuirler is not worth the effort as it can can to unfurl when you don't want it to.
I decided it was better to go for a reefing jib. I know it costs more and you need the forestay etc, but I think it is worth it in the long run as you can then sail with as mich or as little of the jib out as you want. I had my existing jib altered which did not cost too much.

Simon